Gustav Klimt print - Medicine - 1901-1907
Gustav Klimt - Medicine
Year: 1901-1907 - oil on canvas cm 300x430
Preserved: destroyed by fire.
The Faculty Paintings are a series of paintings made by the Viennese painter Gustav Klimt between 1899 and 1907 for the ceiling of the Aula Magna of the University of Vienna, dedicated to the allegory of three faculties: Philosophy, Medicine and Law .
The harsh criticism received, as the works were deemed inappropriate and offensive, led Gustav Klimt to give up the job and to withdraw the three works, returning the previously received honorary to the Austrian state.
Karl Wittgenstein bought the two allegories of Medicine and Law and took them to the castle of Immendorf where they were destroyed during the Second World War by a fire started by the retreating German troops. A color photographic reproduction of Medicine remains.